Talking Right’s Not Talking White


It was a strange and unexpected voicemail message left on my office telephone at the Washington Post, where I worked at the time as a staff writer—a blast from the past, the voice of a childhood friend.


“Wassup, John?” the message went. “You’ve changed,” he said, chuckling. “You sound like a white boy talking on your voicemail message.”


A white boy? Hmmm, I thought to myself, though understanding full well what my old friend meant. He was referring to my clear diction, the inflection and spoken-English perfection, the absence of any detectable Ebonics and ghetto slang.


I had heard it before. Still do. People sometimes marvel that I can speak “so well” having been raised in the ‘hood. My mama always expected and demanded nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Kimberley Garner wearing bikini a sexy coral number on Instagram

California dreaming: Kimberley Garner displays her slim figure in a sexy coral bikini as she soaks up the sun in LA . love thi...